Reviewed by Ogbo Godfrey
Non-toxic body lotions free your skin of harmful chemicals and provide fast absorption, long-lasting hydration, and anti-ageing benefits. Some of the best non-toxic body lotions include primarily pure body lotion, true botanicals, osea undaria algae body butter, earth mama, one ocean beauty, pipette eczema lotion, attitude orange leaves body lotion, silk therapeutics, among others that Works to give a soothing effect to your skin.
While we often do not think of it as one, the skin is our largest organ. We might suppose that the stuff we put on the outside of our bodies is less vital than what we put inside them. Still, the fact is that whatever touches your skin doesn’t just stay on the surface but actually gets absorbed into your bloodstream and then gets circulated through your body. That’s why you must be careful of what you apply to your skin. Therefore, using non-toxic body lotions without harmful chemicals is extremely important. This article lists the best non-toxic body lotions, their ingredient lists, and their effectiveness in helping you shop more mindfully.
WHAT ARE NON-TOXIC BODY LOTIONS
Non-toxic body lotions are skincare products free from harmful chemicals or ingredients that are potentially harmful or can hurt the body. They are made from natural products that nourish the skin, moisturize it, and free it from irritations and allergies.
WHAT MAKES CONVENTIONAL BODY LOTION TOXIC
Unfortunately, most of the regular body lotions are made up of ingredients that have either been found to be toxic or potentially damaging both to humans and the environment.
These ingredients are one of the leading causes of hormone disruption and tend to lead to many issues over a long period. They may be carcinogenic (cancer-causing), some might be connected with organ damage or fertility problems, or even cause irritation or allergic reactions. Here’s a list of some of the most common toxic chemicals and other ingredients often found in conventional body lotions and moisturizers.
- Fragrance and perfume: These synthetic fragrances include a group of chemicals responsible for a product’s scent (or even lack of smell). Many chemicals are included under the blanket ingredient “fragrance” that can cause allergic reactions. However, under federal law, to protect trade secrets, companies do not have to disclose the content of their fragrance in order to preserve their brands. Some synthetic fragrance ingredients are associated with cancer, reproductive toxicity, allergies and sensitivities.
- Parabens: This is usually found in body lotions. Preservatives called parabens are endocrine disruptors, implying they have a risk of developing chronic illnesses over time by interfering with the body’s natural hormonal processes.
- Phthalates: This is also used to make fragrances stick to the skin; many body lotions contain phthalates which can also be endocrine disruptors.
- Phenoxyethanol: This ingredient is used as a preservative and can occasionally be puzzling because there are safe sources and if it is used in doses below 1%. However, it can be contaminated with 1,4 dioxane, which is a probable cause of human cancer, so it is crucial that you know your product has a clean source of it.
- Petrolatum: As the name implies, this comes from petroleum. You may also come across other phrases like mineral oil, which, when placed on the skin, has an ‘occlusive’ effect, meaning it prevents anything from getting or departing, allowing moisture to be retained. However, there is also strong evidence that mineral oil hydrocarbons are the most significant human body contaminant and are associated with endocrine disruption.
- Retinyl Palmitate: This is a substitute for the natural Vitamin A-type Retinyl Acetate. It is an antioxidant that is used in many anti-ageing beauty products. However, studies show that using this ingredient leads to an increase in the incidence of tumours and the rate at which they grow.
INGREDIENTS TO LOOK FOR IN A NON-TOXIC BODY LOTION
There are a lot of ingredients that you want to look for when in search of a non-toxic body lotion. These ingredients make the best non-toxic body lotions outstanding amongst all others. They include:
- Essential Fatty Acids: On its own, the body doesn’t produce essential fatty acids, so they need to absorb them either from diet or other means, such as applying non-toxic body lotions. Fatty acids can be categorized into fats (butter) and oil. Essential fatty acids can be found in Ingredients such as sunflower oil, shea butter, avocado oil, mango, and cacao.
- Butter (Shea, Cacao, Mango): Several non-toxic body lotion entails shea butter in its product. Shea butter is a very potent natural ingredient that has been used for centuries. It involves tons of amounts of Vitamin E, which protects the skin; it contains cinnamic acid esters, which can help with irritation, redness and more, and also possess antibacterial properties.
Another primary nourishing ingredient in this category is Mango butter and Cocoa butter. Mango butter consists of vitamins A, C and E, which help to fight free radicals. Cacao Butter, on the other hand, contains cocoa mass polyphenols, which according to studies, may reduce signs of ageing.
It also has polyphenols, which provide deep hydration, like Shea Butter. Additionally, it has antioxidants.
- Glycerin: This helps the skin to draw water to it, thereby causing the skin to retain moisture.
- Ceramides: These liquid molecules found in the cells of the skin help cells avoid moisture loss. Therefore, when used in non-toxic body lotions helps to restore skin barrier function to prevent moisture loss.
- Hyaluronic Acid: It absorbs moisture to the skin and can retain a thousand times its weight in water.
- Herbs (Calendula, Lavender, Chamomile, Green Tea): Your skin can benefit from herbs. Both chamomile and lavender may have calming effects. Calendula’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities aid in the healing of wounds, scars, and lines. Green tea is rich in antioxidants, and caffeine can strengthen brittle skin.
12 BEST NON-TOXIC BODY LOTION
Ensuring that you have the most suitable non-toxic body lotion for your skin involves getting a safe and functional product. Here’s a list of the top best non-toxic body lotions to consider buying LOTION BAR FROM ECOROOTS:
EcoRoots has a beautiful list of non-toxic products. This plastic-free, non-toxic body lotion bar is enhanced with moisturizing jojoba oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter. It is rich in Vitamin E and also fatty acids, nourishing the skin with a little natural cocoa butter scent. This lotion bar comes parcelled in a disposable paper bag and a metal tin that can be recycled.
1. ACURE ORGANICS:
This non-toxic body lotion is made of cocoa butter, colloidal oatmeal, and aloe, formulated for dry and sensitive skin. In addition to being vegan, Acure Organics is also devoid of Paraben, sulfate, mineral oil, petrolatum, and formaldehyde.
2. PRIMALLY PURE BODY BUTTER
Primally Pure Body Butter is known for its commitment to the quality of its ingredients. This thick and creamy non-toxic body lotion is made with all-natural, ultra-moisturizing and safe ingredients, including tallow from grass-fed cows that are rich in Vitamins. It also contains other organic essential oils. As a result of its butter-like consistency, the Primally Pure body butter it’s a perfect choice for people with dehydrated skin.
3. WINK LLAMA ALL OVER LOTION
The Wink Llama all-over lotion is made from lavender, shea butter, and coconut oil and is an excellent option crafted for babies. It gives a hydrating, soothing and lightweight smell. Given that it does not sting and helps cure chapped or cracked skin parts, it is the ideal non-toxic body lotion for sensitive skin.
4. OSEA UNDARIA ALGAE BODY BUTTER
Made with the famous undaria seaweed and then whipped with shea butter and ceramides. This non-toxic body lotion is just as expected: rich, creamy and provides deep hydration for 72 hours. So, you can say hello to smooth, soft, healthy skin and end to creepy and dry skin.
In addition, this body butter provides an anti-ageing remedy thanks to all of its A-list ingredients.
5. TRUE BOTANICALS
True Botanicals’ Nourishing, non-toxic body lotion is made with key ingredients like green tea and shea butter. This one is lighter but a very effective alternative that still keeps dry skin hydrated.
6. BEAUTYCOUNTER HYDRATING BODY LOTION
Beautycounter offers a line that consists of balm, lotion, butter, oil, and cream so you can choose what’s ideal for your skin type and needs. Beautycounter is in an endeavour to make beauty products healthier for everyone. The Beautycounter hydrating lotion is a non-toxic body lotion that comes as a lightweight formula and rubs in quickly. A little goes a long way. It has a super subtle grapefruit scent, not a loophole. “fragrance” ingredient, giving the skin a smooth, hydrated and non-greasy feel.
7. EARTH MAMA
Earth Mama’s gentle skincare products are soft and soothing, exclusively formulated for mothers and their babies. This non-toxic body lotion contains organic herbs and oils to moisturize babies of all ages. They make available scented and unscented baby lotion, belly butter, and eczema cream.
8. ONE OCEAN BEAUTY
One Ocean Beauty is highly advisable to apply on the skin if you seek a non-toxic body lotion for shaping and maintaining your skin. Proven by clinical studies, this Bioactive Body Shaping Marine Cream helps to improve the tone of the muscles, tighten and increase the elastic properties of the skin.
They use what they call “Blue Biotechnology,” which uses active marine ingredients and has many regenerative benefits.
9. PIPETTE ECZEMA LOTION
This fragrance-free eczema non-toxic body lotion is formulated particularly for those with very delicate skin and even babies. It is made from plant-based ingredients like colloidal oatmeal and jojoba, which works to soothe flare-ups, providing relief for dry, itchy, and irritated skin.
The Pipette eczema lotion holds the National Eczema Association seal and has been consented to by dermatologists and paediatricians.
10. ATTITUDE ORANGE LEAVES BODY LOTION
The attitude leaves body lotion is a hypoallergenic lotion that does not contain known allergens or ingredients that could lead to skin irritations. It is made of ingredients like Moringa seed extract that cleanses and purifies as well as protects against free radicals.
11. SILK THERAPEUTICS
This non-toxic body lotion is made from 11 clean and carefully sorted ingredients. However, the core component is their own Activated Silk, which is liquified silk and works to support smooth, plump radiance in all skin types.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO APPLY LOTION?
An excellent and more efficient way to apply body lotion is to work the cream through upward motions all over your body. This helps give some therapeutic massage at the same time and gets your circulation moving. Unlike body oil, which does better with slightly wet skin, body lotion is suitable for dry skin and will be able to absorb moisture. Start with applying some cream and work that into your skin before adding more. Feel free to add more if your skin still feels dry.
Finally, to do away with a lot of toxic chemicals, preservatives, and fragrances, always do well to choose verified and certified natural, non-toxic body lotions and other skincare products.
As was previously said, several chemicals are included in different body lotions, including Paraben, fragrances, petroleum-based compounds, etc. Reading labels can help you learn what components to avoid and what to search for when buying body care products, which is both safe and crucial.
- 17 Eco-Friendly Stationery Brands Perfect for Sustainable Creatives - November 23, 2023
- Discover 21 Eco-Friendly Garden Tools for the Ultimate Green Thumb Experience - November 22, 2023
- “Is Online Shopping Sustainable? The Answer May Surprise You!” - November 21, 2023